NEW MOVEMENT GUIDE
FOR CHILDREN BIRTH TO FIVE
Click the image to view a sample
Be Active Kids now has video on YouTube.
See Be Active Kids in actions and other physical activity examples.
BE ACTIVE KIDS EDUCATIONAL HANDOUTS - NEW
Check out and download our new handouts to use in your classroom, with your child care staff, or for parents.
Literacy in Motion & Music that Moves
50 Physical Activities To Do With Milk Jugs
50 Ways To Use Your Noodle
20 Fun Things You Can Do in the Mud
101 Things To Do With a Stick
50 Things To Do With a Beach Ball
Fun Ideas for Using Play Things
Nutrition & Physical Activity Checklist
2ND ANNUAL EARLY CHILDHOOD PHYSICAL ACTIVITY INSTITUTE (ECPAI)
September 30th - October 3rd
Marbles Kids Museum & UNC Botanical Garden
Comments from Participants:
- "What a great way to connect the dots between childrens play, physical activity, and learning."
- "The best thing about the Institute was actually doing what we learned and being able to work with young children."
- "I felt so much more prepared by the third day!"
- "I think the training was great, one of the best I've ever attended in fact because I really learned so much and hands on practical skills to put into practice right away."
Click here for an overview of this years institute.
NCIOM RELEASES EXPERT TASKFORCE RECOMMENDATIONS
full report Issue Brief
NCIOM releases expert taskforce recommendations for obesity prevention for NC’s youngest children.
Click the images above to view full report (left) and brief (right). Also check out some of the great partners across North Carolina doing the good working of early childhood obesity prevention: BCBSNC Foundation, North Carolina Partnership for Children/Smart Start, Natural Learning Initiative/NCSU, and UNC Center for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention/Go NAP SACC.
3rd ANNUAL NC PLAY DAZE A HUGE SUCCESS
Thanks to all those folks across the state that spent some time playing with their children!
Check out www.beactivekids.org/playdaze for pictures and impact information.
Keep the conversation about play going on our facebook page - www.facebook.com/playdaze
- "Most children do not get to experience playing outside on a normal daily basis like they did at the Play Daze event, and I want to say thank you for that experience for them and myself."
- "It took me back to a time many years ago when I was growing up and we got to play outside all day long."
- "I was able to make it to Play Daze yesterday! I LOVED it! I have never participated in this before, but I loved every minute of it. This is an awesome way for kids to just be kids."
WHERE IN THE WORLD IS BE ACTIVE KIDS?
National Association for the Education of Young Children (Washington, DC), November 20-23, 2013. Follow this link for more information.
Childhood Obesity Conference (Long Beach, California), June 17-20, 2013. Follow this link for more information.
National Smart Start Conference (Greensboro, NC) is April 29-May 2, 2013. Follow this link for more information.
North Carolina CACFP Conference: Shaping Futures (Durham, NC) will take place June 5-7, 2013. The conference will focus on nutrition, physical activity, and administration of the CACFP. Follow this link for more information.
TASP and IPA/USA Joint Conference (Newark, DE), March 6-9, 2013. Follow this link for more information.
US Play Coalition Conference (Clemson, SC), February 17-20, 2013. Follow this link for more information.
CHANGES IN 2013
- New Be Active Kids Physical Activity and Motor Skills Guide for Children Birth to Five released in September. Trainings to be scheduled Fall and Winter 2013.
- New Contact Information for Be Active Kids
Mailing Address: PO Box 525, Morrisville, NC 27560
Fax Number: 919-510-5033
- Be Active Kids Password-Protected area for trainers and providers is currently under construction. For kit orders and other information about Be Active Kids please contact us directly though email or telephone
Child Care law and rule changes support 60 minutes of daily physical activity & healthier foods.
More obesity prevention works best in the under 5 crowd. More
Toddlers should receive at least 30 minutes of structured physical activity and 60+ minutes of unstructured physical activity each day.
Preschoolers should receive at least 60 minutes of structured physical activity and 60+ minutes of unstructured physical activity each day.
- Be Active Kids trainings resulted in a 34% increase in participation compared to 2011, with 525 childcare providers attending Be Active Kids trainings across North Carolina in 2012.
- Potentially impacted 3,740 young children through child care providers who were trained on the Be Active Kids curriculum.
Three month follow up data shows that a greater percentage of child care providers trained on the Be Active Kids curriculum are addressing more best practices related to physical activity in early child care settings. See chart below. The area shaded in blue shows the percentage of child care providers addressing that physical activity best practice at baseline. The red area represents the percentage of child care providers addressing that same practice three months after their initial Be Active Kids training.
Program Verification Reports
2013 - 4th Quarter Report
2013 - Mid Year Report